LuminariMUD is a unique MUD using Pathfinder/D20 rules and set in a fantasy world of heroes, villains and a world facing a threat that may destroy them all. The game is in an open state, but with plenty of development and world-refinement happening to improve and polish our game. With plenty of lore, and a world map of over 4 million rooms, there's a lot to explore and discover. We cater to PvE lovers and RP, with some PvP goodies coming down the pipe. Our crafting system is deep and allows for unique descriptions and stats you can decide on yourself. We have a GUI for Mudlet and also play well in other MUD clients. We highly encourage those who want to try us out to join our discord server as well. We hope to see you in game!

Just a teaser of the recent developments…

Home Forums General Discussion Just a teaser of the recent developments…

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Ornir Elunari
      Keymaster

Real wilderness! Procedurally generated, really low res at the moment.

Let me know if you want to try it out! 🙂

– Ornir Elunari

Tyrion
      Participant

Epic Ornir!

Ornir Elunari
      Keymaster

Here is a map of one of the generated wildernesses, from (0,0) to (1024, 1024) :

Every Pixel is a location in the wilderness.

The colors are self explanitory, the blues are water, light green is plains, dark green is forest, light brown is beach/cost, brown is hills and grey/white is mountains. The black in the mountain to the nw seems like some kind of volcano-anomaly.

Is anyone else excited about this? 🙂

– Ornir Elunari

nashak
      Keymaster

Very nice, dude! That is awesome!

Ornir Elunari
      Keymaster

Thanks Nashak. 🙂

The plan is, moving forward:

• Refine the sector types (mixed forest (Y&A), deciduous forest(Y), coniferous forest (A, light hills (n), rolling hills (m), etc.) This is still in the works and may change at any moment! 🙂
      • Move the landmasses away from the edges
      • Increase the feature variation, more mountains, better distribution of features, etc.
      • Include biomes with temperature modeling
      • Simple weather modeling (related to biomes)

Etc.

That is just a top-of-my-head brain dump on what I am working on with this. Also, of course, refining the in-game representation and navigation. The basic plumbing is in and working, but I am sure there are bugs and you can also go off the map into negative coords! It works, as the algorithms are near-infinite, but for practicality i want to limit it to positive coordinates.

-Ornir Elunari

Zusuk
      Keymaster

Ornir, you are the MAN…. this is amazing!

How did you generate the world-map??

-Zusuk

Ornir Elunari
      Keymaster

I used a graphics library in C – I have since done some refinements, and now we have one continent in the center.

Right now I am working on getting it less circular and more organic looking. I’ll post a picture when I am happy.

One of the continents i generated looks like a big Yang symbol 😛 Pretty cool. I saved the seed for that, in case we want to use it.

More later…

-Ornir Elunari

Ornir Elunari
      Keymaster

Here is a decent map I have generated:

This has had a bunch of transforms and is a different seed from the map I posted earlier. I like this map because of the mountain range, and how there is a narrow pass that would be a good place for a town, “The Gateway to the North” or something.

The black anomaly in the mountains is nothing in-game, just a graphic artifact.

The map is still a little boring, I am going to try to add another layer of noise with a different seed to try to change things up a bit.

For example the single big forest is pretty, well, boring

More to come.

– Ornir Elunari

Ornir Elunari
      Keymaster

New Map:

Ornir Elunari
      Keymaster

So – I changed some parameters to make the terrain more interesting, and here is what I have as a result:

(Click for a BIG verison, 1 pixel = 1 room.)

I am actually very very happy with this and might just run with it if nobody has any objections. I am currently running around this wilderness on the development port and it is really nice and diverse. Now to add more sector types and make it even more filled out!

– Ornir Elunari

bakarus
      Participant

Epic…

Tyrion
      Participant

Really nice boss

Anonymous
      Inactive

it looks very good

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.